Dr. MOUSA S. BURAYZAT (PhD)
Date of Birth October 1, 1950
Place of Birth Madaba - Jordan
Marital Status Married, with four children
Languages Arabic, English
- 1987 PhD. Political Science, New York University, NY, USA
- 1986 M.Phil., Political Science, New York University, NY, USA
- 1982 MA, Political Science, Queens College, City University of New York, NY, USA
- 1973-1975 Post Graduate Studies, AUB, Beirut, Lebanon
- 1972 BA English Literature, Jordan University, Amman, Jordan
- 1968 Jordan National High School Diploma (Top Ten), Jordan
- International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights in Peace Operations, XXXI Round Table, International Institute of Humanitarian Law, 2 – 6 September 2008, Sanremo, Italy.
- Trade Policies and the Doha Development Agenda for High-Level Government Officials, Training Course for the Regional Program, 15-19/01/2005, Dubai, UAE.
- A Course on WTO Imminent Matters organized by the Advisory Centre on the WTO Law on Dispute Settlements, 28/10/2004-17/03/2005, Geneva, Switzerland.
- A Seminar by the WTO on South-South Relations, 12-15/12/2004, Doha, Qatar.
- “New Int. Economic Order”, March 1977, Diplomatic Academy, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012- now - Commissioner General of Human Rights in Jordan
- 2013-2012 - Chairman of the International Coordinating Committee (ICC)
- 2012 - Member of the Royal Committee to draft the National Integrity Charter and action plan
- 2011 - Member of the Board of Trustees of the National Centre for Human Rights in Jordan
- -Member and Rapporteur of the National Dialogue Committee (entrusted with drafting new Election law and Political Parties' Law
- October 2010 Independent Candidate for the Parliamentary Elections (for the 16th Lower House)
JORDAN GOVERNMENT WORK EXPERIENCE
- 2008- 2010 -Director of Human Rights Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Director of the International Organizations and International Relations
Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. During this period I headed and participated in several international and regional conferences on human rights and other international issues.
- Head of Delegation to the Ministerial Conference of Arab – South American Conference, Kyoto, Ecuador
- 2004– 2008 - Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Geneva
- Permanent Representative to the International Labor Organization, Geneva.
- Permanent Representative to the World Trade Organization, Geneva
- Permanent Representative to other organizations such as the World Health Organization, the World Intellectual Property Organization and the International Telecommunications Union.
- 2007-2008 Chairman of the Social Forum, Human Rights Council Geneva.
- 2007-2008 Chairman of the Working Group on Situations, Human Rights Council, Geneva.
- 2006-2007 Vice-President and a Rapporteur of the Human Rights Council, Geneva
- February 2006 Head of the Jordanian Delegation to the 94th Maritime Session of the International Labor Conference, ILO.
- 26-30/05/2006 Head of the Jordanian Delegation to the Non-Aligned Ministerial Conference, , Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- 2005 Head of the Jordanian Delegation to the ILO Annual Conference, Geneva.
- November 2005 Head of the Jordanian Delegation of the ILO Governing Body Session, Geneva.
- 2005 Vice-Chair of the Finance Committee of the ILO Annual Conference, Geneva.
- 2005-2006 - Head of the Arab Group of the ILO, Geneva.
- Coordinator for the Arab Group at the WTO, Geneva
- Vice-President of the Seventh Annual Conference for State Parties to the Amended Second Protocol of the Convention on Chemical Weapons (CCW), Geneva
- Chairman of the Conference for State Parties to the UN Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, Geneva.
- Member of the Jordanian Delegations to several Arab Summit Conferences, OIC Summits, the Non-Aligned Movement Summits and the World Trade Organization Ministerial Meetings
- Participated in numerous international conferences, seminars and symposiums pertaining to international relations issues.
- November 2004 Head of the Jordanian Delegation of the ILO Governing Body Session, Geneva.
- 2002-2004 Director of the International Relations and Organizations Directorate, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 1997-2002 Ambassador of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the Republic of Turkey
- 1993-1997 Head of the Strategic Studies Unit at the Hashemite Royal Court, Amman-Jordan
- 1991-1994 Member of the Jordanian Delegation for the Middle East
Peace Talks (Bilateral and Multilateral Tracks).
- 1990-1993 Advisor at the Royal Hashemite Court, Amman
1982-1983 Member of the Jordanian Delegation at the Security Council, New York
- 1980-1985 Second Secretary at the Jordan Mission to the United Nations, New York
- 1976-1980 Attaché at the Jordan Embassy, Yemen
ACADEMIC WORK EXPERIENCE
- 1996 – 1997 Assistant to the President and Director of the Teaching and Training Department, Institute of Diplomacy, Amman - Jordan
- 1995-1996 Part-time lecturer of International Organizations’ Law, the Jordan University, the University of Applied Sciences, and the Princess Sumayya College, Amman, Jordan
- 1993-1994 Visiting Scholar, Brookings Institute, Washington, DC
- 1993 Fellow, Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg
- 1990 Fellow, Aspen Institute, Colorado
- 1988-1989 Fellow, Centre for International Affairs of Harvard University, USA
- 1987-1988 Researcher, Centre for Strategic Studies of the Jordan University, Amman
- 1974-1975 Analyst (political events and other) at Dar Al-Sayyad, Beirut.
- The Jordanian-Palestinian Relationship and Inter-Arab Politics: the Bankruptcy of the Confederal Idea, British Academic Press, London: 1998.
- Jordan’s Regional Role: Balancing National Survival with the Nation’s Revival, a booklet, Centre for Strategic Studies, Jordan University, Amman: 1995.
ARTICLES & PAPERS
- “Human Rights Council Advisory Committee”, The First 365 Days of the United Nations Human Rights Council. Edited by Lars Muller, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland. Berne, Switzerland, 2007.
- “The Jordanian-Israeli Relationship: Federation Versus Confederation within the Palestinian-Israeli Crisis”, edited by Abdel Hadi, M., ‘Pasia’ Publications, Ramallah, Palestine: August, 2005.
- “Toward the Establishment of a Jordanian Party System”, paper presented at Conference on Political Parties in the Arab World: Current Status and Future Prospects, organized by Al-Quds Study-Centre, Amman, Jordan: June 2004.
- “World Party Systems: Lessons for Jordan”, paper presented at Conference on Political Parties in Jordan, Al-Quds Study-Centre, Amman, Jordan: October 2003.
- “The Concept of National Interest in Jordan’s Foreign Policy: Two Competing Themes”, pamphlet for the Institute of Diplomacy, Amman, Jordan: 2001.
- “Great Powers and the Middle East Region”, paper submitted at the Arab Awakening and the 21st Century seminar, organized by the Institute of Diplomacy, Amman: November 2001.
- “The Knowledge System and the Political Structure in the Arab World”, a seminar organized by the Institute of Diplomacy, Amman, Jordan: November 2001.
- Jordanian National Interest in Jordan Foreign Policy”, in Arabic, The Forum Publication of the World Affairs Council, Vol.10. No.3, Amman, Jordan: October 1999.
- “Lessons from Arab-Israeli Peace Negotiations: Jordanian-Israeli Talks as a Case Study”, Diplomatic Studies Publication of the Centre for Strategic Studies, Foreign Ministry, Saudi Arabia: May 1997.
- “Suleiman Nabulsi and Intra-Arab Relations”, paper presented at a Symposium on Suleiman Nabulsi: A Reading on his Personality and Experience, Amman, Jordan: May 1997.
- “Threat Perceptions: Jordan’s Viewpoint”, UN Journal, Geneva: September 1996.
- “The Impact of the Peace Process on the Inter-Arab Relations”, paper presented at the Fourth Arab Strategic Conference, Cairo, Egypt: May 1996.
- “Jordan’s Regional Role: Balancing Change with Stability”, Jordan and Korea in their Regional Context, edited by Hamarneh, M., Jordan University Publications, Jordan: 1994.
- “The Concept of National Interest”, The Forum, Amman, Jordan: May 1990.
- “The Impact of the New Détente on the Arab-Israeli Conflict”, The Forum, Jordan: March 1990.
- “The Bush Administration and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Ripeness Versus Ripening”, The Forum, Jordan: March, 1989.
- “External Challenges to the Arab System”, paper presented at the Second Arab Strategic Conference, Cairo, Egypt: January 1989.
- “Jordan”, In Constitutions of the Countries of the World, Albert P. Blanstein & Gisbert H. Flanz (eds.), Ocean Publications, Inc.: 1984.
- Translation into Arabic, with Introduction, to W.H. Auden, by Everatta, B., the Arab Home for Studies and Publications, Beirut: 1976.
- Al-Istiklal Medal of the First Order of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan